• Blacksmith forge/ferrier works building, probably built in the 1800s, atop or near the site of the original forge structure, which was likely less complex in design

  • Forge/ferrier was operated continuously by 4 generations of Miller family members for about 140 years, from the 1750s through 1889

  • David L. Miller carved his name in the wooden inset to the right of the forge door; look carefully when visiting and you will find it

  • Past uses in the 20th century included off-season storage and conversion into a one-bedroom, one-bathroom cottage that was rented to tenants or occupied by family members of previous owners

  • An archaeological dig in and around the Miller Forge was conducted on May 15, 16, 19, and 20, 2008, under the direction of Ian Burrow, PhD, RPA, Vice President, Hunter Research Inc. of Trenton, NJ

  • Slag, charcoal, coal, iron bar-stock, fasteners, hooks, horseshoes, nails, and other iron items were recovered during the dig, as was a more limited amount of ceramics and glass, apparently mostly of earlier 19th century date

  • The top of the forge-side tunnel entrance was located, but it could not be fully excavated without jeopardizing the integrity of the forge’s stone wall above it

  • Further archaeological research and restoration of the forge may take place pending further fundraising and award of additional grant money